Understanding Product Configuration
Product configuration is the act of customizing a product to meet the needs of a particular customer. With the help of this tool, the sales staff can give an exact quotation of a customized product at any time without help from engineering or any other department. Also, they can check whether the customer’s requirements are feasible or not.
Why Product Configurator
Product configurators represent one of the most successful applications of artificial intelligence principles. The use of product configurators results in reduced lead times, fewer errors, shorter learning curve for new employees, etc.
Product Configurator enhances communication, increases control over production, reduces chances of human error, and helps identify product modularity even for manufacturing with high design complexity. Most importantly, it addresses the highly effective strategy of quick response manufacturing i.e., shortening the order to ship time from days and weeks to hours.
Product Configurator is designed to accommodate the needs of assemble‐to‐order, make‐to‐order, repetitive and even some engineer‐to‐order manufacturers.
Benefits of Product Configurator
Product Configurator provides a method of producing unique product configurations based on customer specifications and pre‐engineered sets of options and rules. This provides the sales staff with an elegant and easy‐to‐use product configurator and a product engineer with a wealth of powerful and sophisticated tools to define the configuration process.
It not only allows for easy selection of features and options, but performs calculations and presents specific choices, based on the parameters entered by the user. As a result, when certain options are selected, additional or alternate options may be presented based on the engineering‐defined rules and previously entered data.
Changing customer requirements and increased competition have created an environment where the aim is to have the fastest fulfilment at the lowest cost and highest quality. To be the fastest, requires eliminating non‐value‐added (NVA) activities, waste, rework, scrap and other factors that drive costs up and quality down.
Configure to Order is a solution that covers a range of processes from engineering to manufacturing to sales and delivery, and reduces lead times from days or weeks to a matter of hours.
CTO promotes standardization, increases product variety and decreases production variability by reducing the number of custom‐engineered orders. This decreases lead‐times by getting orders into manufacturing faster with predefined bills of materials, routings and fewer setups. Mobile CTO brings the manufacturer and customer even closer, and closer means faster.
Features & Capabilities
- Configured products are defined using a consolidated, integrated configuration management tool
- A friendly and elegant product configurator guides the operator through pre‐defined option and quantity selections.
- A shorthand configuration entry code is supported that allows the experienced operator to select or enter a configuration in a fraction of the normal time.
- The configuration process checks the configuration and if found new, then creates a unique item, bill of material.
- A set of unique costs and catalogue prices is created for each configuration. Descriptive information is also produced.
- Tightly integrated with Sales Quotation and Sales Order Process
- Powerful functionalities for configuration rules define:
- Product Model
- Product Assembly
- Configuration Parameters
- Options of Parameter
- Parameter Dependency
- Rate & Discount Policy Definition
To know more about Product configurator: Call us 203.883.6291 or Contact us